Physical Geography Kuwait is a country located within the Middle East

Physical Geography

Kuwait is a country located within the Middle East, also known as the State of Kuwait. It is found on the Arab Peninsula neighboring Iraq and Saudi Arabia. (Refer to Figure 1) Kuwait has an area of 6,879 square miles, with this is consideration Kuwait is seemingly a small country. In comparison, the State of Kuwait is slightly smaller than the state of New Jersey. There are nine islands off the mainland of Kuwait, that the country possesses. All of Kuwait’s islands are located in the Persian Gulf which is Kuwait’s maritime border. Of the nine islands Failaka is the most famous and serves as a popular tourist destination.

Kuwait’s inland is predominantly flat desert land with the exception of its rolling desert plain. There are no mountains or rivers located on the mainland of Kuwait. This leaves Kuwait with a dry desert climate brings longer summers and shorter winters. When the summer brings a high humidity, Kuwait is more than likely to experience a dust storm.

Kuwait has few natural resources, and of them Oil is the main natural resource. Kuwait’s oil supply is ranked third in the world, and it a key dependent for Kuwait’s economy. Outside of oil, the Kuwait Bay provides as a great natural harbor for the country and has allowed a prime point of trade. In the north, there are water preserves that provide pure drinking water but, outside of the north the water preserves require treatment unless used for irrigation. Kuwait has a decent supply of marine food, and was once self-sufficient with its vast seafood supply.

Population Geography

Kuwait’s current population is roughly 4.2 million, which only accounts for .05% of the world population. Within Kuwait only around 30% of the population is native and the other 70% is accounted for by expatriates. Back in 2007, the migration rate in Kuwait was ranked the third highest globally. This was partially due to the better living standards in Kuwait and the oil supply. Including both population sectors, approximately 60% of the entire population is Arab. Of the expatriates, Indians and Egyptians are the two largest non-national communities that currently reside in the country. Kuwait is a very diverse country, and is home to a variety of ethnic groups. Kuwaitis make up for 30.4% of the population. While other Arabs account for 27.4%, Asians account for 40.3%, African 1%, and others for the remaining 0.9%.

Kuwait has a high life expectancy rate of 78.2 years, compared the global expectancy of 70.5 years of age. The up to date population growth rate is 4% per year, and if it continues at this rate in 2050 Kuwait is projected to have a population of 5.9 million. In comparison, to the world’s annual population growth rate Kuwait is a rapidly growing country. The median age group in Kuwait is 30-34 years of age. (Refer to figure 2) The population pyramid suggests Kuwait is gradually stabilizing, and growing in size. The male population makes up for the majority population in Kuwait.

Linguistic and Religious Geography

The official language of Kuwait is Arabic, but the Arabic language has been influenced heavily by different societies in the different regions of Kuwait. Although, Modern Standard Arabic is used in the education system, official documents, and journalism. The rural and urban areas of Kuwait have developed variations in their dialects. English is another major language spoken but, it is not an official language. English is also taught in the education system.

The official religion in Kuwait is Muslim, and 85% of population are followers. In the Muslim population, 70% are Sunni and the rest are Shia. Within the remaining 15% of the population, there are a few religions. Christianity makes up for the majority of the minority religions in Kuwait.

Political Geography

Economic and Urban Geography

The urban population in Kuwait nearly takes up the whole population.